Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Simpler Life ~

      As I am writing,Automatic by Miranda Lambert is playing and it inspired today's thoughts. Its one of those days where I keep thinking about how life gets so hectic. I love slow days where all I have to do is whatever I want to do.  But let's be honest here, how often do those days happen? Sadly, being an adult doesn't allow for days like that very often. Work, children, errands, working out, and the list goes on and on. And it seems to be that the older I get, the  more to-do's trickle their way into my life.  Technology screams for my attention.  My phone gets more and more essential to life. I joke that l'd be a mess without my phone when, in all reality, it's pretty true.  That little pocket-sized device has a way of sending me into a panic if it goes missing or runs out of battery.  I  communicate in texts and Facebook messages. I am not a big phone-call girl. I don't talk on the phone much at all. But I do like my messaging.  Seems like everything has to be instant. We get frustrated if someone doesn't have an answer and we have to look it up right away. Instagram and Twitter show our life in little snippets of time.

So today I'm thinking about the 'good old days.' When, I think of being a kid and we had VHS and corded phones and when we got a cordless phone, we felt fancy. Dial-up internet--oh my, slowest thing ever, right? Not being able to connect to the internet because  someone is on the phone. A 90's kid with her portable CD player, headphones, and roller blades. Thought I was the coolest kid ever. Cassette tape decks in every car, CD player if you had a new fancy car. Radio was just your local stations. Hoping your favorite radio station would work till you got wherever you were going. Hills and tall buildings stunk for radio. We had tube TVs and eventually  satellite but no DVRs. Weather was looking at the sky or watching the local news, or turning on the radio or watching the weather channel, waiting for the local weather. No cell phones.  If you were away from home, no one could call you. Amazingly, we survived just fine. Pink notepad and pen by the phone for taking messages for someone else. If they weren't there when someone called for them, and you happened to answer it. Waiting all day to sit down and watch your favorite show on TV, at the time it was on. If you missed it, hoping a rerun would be on someday so you could see it. Video game controllers with cords and having to sit on the floor because the cord didn't reach the couch. Video game cartridges, blowing on them when they didn't work to get dust off so you could play them. Summer meant playing outside and using our imaginations, with the occasional rainy-day TV day. I may or may not have watched Snow White so many times I wore out the tape. Yes, you could wear out VHS or cassette tapes. The panic over a broken or unrolled tape, hoping the break or crinkle in the tape wouldn't disrupt the movie too much. Splicing the tape back together, hoping it wouldn't get stuck in the VCR or tape deck. The only cellphones were head sized and antennas like a beacon. They were not very good and reception sucked. We waited days for mail and letters in the mail were like a mini gift. Disposable cameras and film cameras and getting them developed. Paper pictures in your hands or in albums. Life as a kid even for me seemed so simple electronics hadn't taken over yet.

I find myself dreaming and yearning for a simpler time.  I think about how my parents grew up with a lot less. Seeing the people they are today makes me think that maybe less really is better. They were by no means rich, money wise.  My grandparents worked long, hard days providing for their children. My parents grew up with chores such as milking cows in the early morning and right after dinnertime. They talk about the farm and milking cows and plowing fields and making hay. I find myself wanting to be on a farm--less stuff, hard work, an old house with lots of land. I have always been a country girl at heart who happened to grow up in a small town--a city girl, dreaming of no street lights, a barn, a yard that's big enough to have a garden as big as I want. A yard that a dog can run around for hours on. I want goats and chickens, and the wide open space, a life that is simpler and slower. I want my children someday to see how my grandparents and parents lived life. I want a modern life with a nod to the old days which were good times. My mom talks about her family singing around their piano.  My dad talks of shenanigans in the barn and hay mow. Their houses were full of life and love. I find myself wanting my children to have a home with hard work, life, love and singing. I might have grown up in town, but my parents somehow still instilled in us a simple, country-like mindset. Appreciating what we have and remembering the hard work that it took to have what we have. My daddy worked hard and yet he still made it to all of our games and special events. He is the biggest inspiration of what a godly man should look like and be. My brothers both learned well from him. We didn't have much money but we were rich because we had love and faith. We knew that no matter what, we had and still do have, each other.

       We fell in love with God and our faith grew. Sunday mornings before church would find my dad playing guitar and singing hymns and other worships songs. You could hear singing coming from all corners of our house. Singing was a part of our lifestyle. We all caught the music bug. Our house was never quiet.  It was filled  with laughter and questions about life and, once in awhile, tears. My parents never made us afraid to ask anything. We always asked any questions we had. God was a daily part of my childhood.  He was a part of everything my parents did and still do. We asked questions and figured out our own faith. They taught us that God was powerful and His love was and is unfailing, but that we still  had to seek Him with our own hearts and lives to really have a real understanding of God. We made God our own, and our faith was our own.  My parents took us to church. but church was more than a building growing up. It was my second home. My parents were very involved in the music and other ministries in church. My friends were all in our church. Our church was a big family.

All in all, my point is that even though we have all these new electronics and technology races forward, don't forget what makes life great. Simple is better and it's just as good as being rich. Find your joy in God and family and love and you will be rich.


https://youtu.be/TVYLN4_IZgcAutomatic

No comments:

Post a Comment