Thursday, May 14, 2015

I want to not miss a second of my life.

  

     Psalm 139:16~ Your eyes saw my unformed body;all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.(NIV)  


      I want to not miss a second of my life.  You might be saying, "Oh great, another "Carpe Diem" post."  I won't say I don't like that saying because I do.  Is there anything unbiblical about saying "seize the day?" I don't think so. So please keep reading, so you know what I really mean.

      We live in a fast-paced, technology-driven, and constant social interaction and nonstop society. My generation, which they call 'millennials', those who came of age in the 2000's and younger, have it worse than those who lived before the electronics and technology took over. Why? I hate silence or don't even like leaving the social world for two minutes. My phone is within arm's length at all times. If it's not, I am still waiting for it to make some sound, telling me one of my social networks has something new for me--Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Messenger-- or perhaps a text from one of my family members or friends. Music and TV just add to the constant communication need and make life more "noisy". . . so I don't have to hear the quiet.

     My point ? ... God did not create any of these things that create such noise in our life. While he did let humans create them, He Himself did not create them. Now don't hear me wrong and think I am saying that you can't use all of the technology and networking sites mentioned above, because unless God leads me to give them up, I am not planning to. I am saying, however, that some days I feel as though the noisy things make me miss life and moments that I should take in.

     I'm saying that we would benefit greatly if, from time to time, we would step away from the noisy things in our life long enough to cherish the moment. Find time to do things worth remembering and, sure, Instagram some moments along the way. Just make sure your focus is on life and not on that screen on your phone. Make sure Twitter knows about your quotable moments but doesn't have so much it can quote you. Facebook can know that you bought a car or that you just saw your new niece or nephew for the first time.  You can snapshot a few moments and tell us what you are doing or what your're learning once in awhile. But Facebook shouldn't see your face more than those special people in your life do.  And you don't need to text everyone.  Save those texts for those who need to hear an encouraging word or those from whom you can find encouragement.
    
     There will never be another today. Who is worth you time today? Look at your family and friends. Who do you want to make memories with today? Time passes too fast to miss any of it. So invest in those around you and build your life with the guidance of God.  Make sure to take time to slow down and hear the still small voice that God often speaks in. Spend time reading His word. Take each moment and situation in life as it comes. Feel everything with your heart, and touch as many people as you can. Take in each second laugh and smile, Take it all in.  "Seize the day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment